On this page you will find information on how to apply for a visa for visiting friends or relatives and what the documentation requirements are. Please be sure to read the whole section before contacting us with questions.
How to book an appointment
All visa appointments must be booked by sending an e-mail to the Visa Department on email@example.com. At times, it can take up to 15 days to get an appointment and up to 15 days to get a visa decision. We therefore advise you to book an appointment no later than 30 days before your travel date.
How to apply
Applications for a Schengen visa for Denmark, Iceland, Norway and Sweden must be made online through Visaselfservice. Upon registration and payment of visa fee you will be prompted to print a cover letter from the visa selfservice webpage. You must apply in person and you must bring this signed cover letter and required documentation to the Danish Embassy.
If you use Google Chrome as your browser, you may encounter problems with the Visaselfservice. Please insert an 's' in the URL, so the URL reads 'https://' instead of 'http://'.
When applying for a Schengen visa to visit friends or relatives in Denmark, Iceland, Norway or Sweden you must submit all of the following documents:
- Signed cover letter you receive when you complete your visa-application online through Visaselfservice.
- Passport/travel document, which must exceed your stay in the Schengen area by at least 3 months.
- Passport/travel document must be issued within the last 10 years and must have at least two blank pages.
- Irish multi-entry residence permit and GNIB card, which must exceed your stay in the Schengen area by at least 3 months. No exceptions will be made.
- Two accurate passport photos of the applicant. The photo must be 35mm x 45mm (size of head between 30-36 mm from the bottom of the chin to the top of the head). The person must be facing the camera directly. Click here for further information.
- Letter from your employer confirming your employment status and your valid work permit. If you are a student letter from your college must be submitted confirming your course and attendance.
- A booking/travel itinerary. Return ticket must be shown only when visa has been granted.
- Evidence that you have sufficient funds to support yourself during your stay in the form of original bank statements with name and address for the last three months (in your own name).
- A valid, personal travel medical insurance which covers costs for:
- emergency treatment by a doctor
- urgent ambulance transportation
- transportation back to applicant's home country if required for medical reasons.
The insurance must cover at least € 30,000 and be valid in all Schengen states and cover the total length of stay.
- When visiting friends/relatives in Sweden the Referee's Appendix (Appendix E) should be filled in and signed by the host in Sweden and sent to you. This form can be downloaded from the Migration Boards Website: Invitation form
- When visiting friends/relatives in Denmark or Iceland the Danish Immigration Service Invitationform VU2 must be filled in and signed by the host in Denmark/Iceland and then sent to you. The form can be downloaded from the Danish Immigration Service's website: Invitation form
- When visiting friends/relatives in Norway the Danish Immigration Service Invitationform VU2 must be filled in and signed by the host in Norway and then sent to you. The form can be downloaded from the Danish Immigration Service's website: Invitation form
- If your host in Norway is helping you with expenses of your trip he/she must complete and send to you a guarantee-form. The form can be downloaded from the Norwegian Directorate of Immigration’s website: Invitation and guarentee declaration.
- € 60,00 fee for adults and children over the age of 11. No cards accepted.
- € 35,00 fee for children between the age of 6 and 11.
- No fee for children under the age of 6.