Skip to content

Travelling with your Irish spouse

If you are travelling with your Irish spouse/civil partner and hold a GNIB card/Irish residency permit card with Stamp 4 you require a visa to visit the Schengen states.

Documentation requirements

When applying for a visa to travel with your Irish spouse/civil partner you must submit all of the following documents:

  • A printed and signed ApplyVisa cover letter (you print the cover letter when you complete your visa application online).
  • Passport/travel document, which must exceed your stay in the Schengen-area by at least 3 months. The passport/travel document must have been issued within the last 10 years and must have at least two blank pages. You must also bring a colour photocopy of the entire passport.
  • GNIB/IRP card plus residence stamp in passport must exceed your stay in the Schengen area by at least 3 months. No exceptions will be made. Bring a colour photocopy of IRP card.
  • Your spouse's/civil partner's passport/travel document. You must bring a colour photocopy of these.
  • Your original marriage certificate/civil partnership certificate. If the certificate is not in English, you must also bring an English translation. 
  • Proof that you are travelling with your Irish spouse/civil partner.

If you are travelling with your Irish spouse/civil partner there is no fee for your visa application.

To proceed, please go to the ApplyVisa system here and complete the application.

If you are travelling without your spouse/civil partner a visa is required.

Where to hand in your visa application

700 South Circular Road, Dublin 8 (Vistatec House).
+353 1 571 2506

Booking an appointment at VFS:
Please go here to book an appointment at the VAC. 

1. Go to the linked website
2. Log in with your credentials (or register as a new user)
3. Complete the appointment booking process 
4. You will receive an appointment confirmation e-mail with your Appointment Letter attached as a PDF. 


NB: You will not be able to get an appointment sooner than the next time available unless there are unforeseen and serious circumstances. If it is an emergency, please contact the Embassy directly.