Skip to content


Frequently asked questions about Denmark, Ireland and things in between.

My passport is about to expire. Can I travel to Denmark with it?

Yes, you can. It is recommended that you have at least 3 months validity on your passport over your stay, but you should be able to travel on your passport up to the expiry date.

As an Irish citizen, do I need a residence and work permit if I want to work in Denmark?

According to EU legislation, an EU/EEA citizen can reside freely in Denmark for up to three months. If the EU/EEA citizen is seeking employment or is actively employed during their stay, he or she may be permitted to remain in Denmark up to six months. A stay exceeding these limits requires an EU/EEA residence certificate. An EU/EEA residence certificate is, as opposed to a Residence Permit, issued according to the rules specified in the Danish Aliens Act - simply a certification of the rights that the EU/EEA citizen already has according to EU Freedom of Movement. 

I am going to Denmark to work and I want to take my car. Can I do that?

Yes, you can bring your car. If you are staying more than 3 months you might have to change your licence plate. In some cases you can get a permit to continue driving with your Irish license plates. If you need more information, please call the vehicle registration offices in Denmark on +45 72 22 27 96. You also need to check with your insurance company, if you have to take up an insurance in Denmark. 

Is my child born in Ireland an Irish or Danish national?

If one of the parents is a Danish national, your child will obtain a right to Danish nationality. However, if the father is Danish and NOT married to the mother of the child, an application has to be submitted. Read more about this here.

What are the rules when travelling with a pet from Ireland to Denmark?

This link will take you to the Danish Veterinary and Food Administration, where you can find information on travelling with pet animals.

How do I find a solicitor?

If you require an Irish solicitor etc., please contact The Law Society of Ireland directly Tel: +353 (0)1 672 4800.

If you have questions with regard to your legal rights, you can contact The Family Law Office Tel: +353 (0)1 872 5555.

If you need a Danish solicitor, you can contact Advokatsamfundet, Tel: +45 33 96 97 98.